Monday, January 18, 2010

What was the theme of the new millennium?

When I look back on the past decade of the new millennium there are obvious themes that pop out in my mind like terrorism, globalization, reality TV and the birth of social networks. However, there is an underlining theme I have noticed.

Acceptance.

Topics such as bulimia, abortion, sex addiction, obesity, homosexuality et cetera were once misunderstood and even shunned. In the new millennium Americans decided that it wasn’t right to judge those individuals associated with these issues. We felt as a society that we should be more understanding with things we do not identify with.

For the most part I think this shows a great amount of maturity from our nation as a whole. There’s just this small part of me that worries this “acceptance” could lead to a degeneration of our society.

Not the acceptance of these topics specifically, but the concept of accepting everything.


Where do we as a society make a stand on what’s right or wrong? Or is that our job? Is what’s right or wrong up to every single individual? Is it possible to find common morals or standards?

3 comments:

Jordan Blanchard said...

Interesting question Daniel. Who is responsible to take a stand? I believe each individual and family should take a stand. I also believe it's okay to accept the person but we don't have to accept what people do as truth or right. Truth can be found only from one source.

Lori Steadman said...

Elder Oaks has written quite a bit about this idea---misplaced tolerance. I like your new lable: acceptance, and the idea that it can lead to a degenerate society. Thanks for trying to stay awake in class.

Ashley Brocious said...

How do you accept someone and stay distant from their choices? I've wondered this myself. We need to love but not participate. I think this is something everyone deals with, even on a daily basis sometimes.

Post a Comment